Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Nov 14 15 1:12 PM

Hi Arun

Sorry for the trouble. We are currently facing an API outage. We would be up soon. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Nov 14 15 6:03 PM

Looks like Arun managed to crash the API, the logs indicate that an attempt to control a device which didn't exist was made, Arun any idea what you last successfully tried? I have currently restarted the service and added another exception handle.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Nov 14 15 6:05 PM

Ryan wrote:
I just got it working.  I couldn't get the ON/OFF buttons to work from Firefox.  They would work on the Device Setup screen when I used the test buttons, but not on the main screen.  I switched over to Chrome though and it seems to work OK there.  The github page acts a little strange in general when I was using Firefox.  It wouldn't update things unless I refreshed the browser.  I guess that I'll just use Chrome for now.

I'm still having an issue with my VPN too.  Whenever I turn on my VPN service the github page gets screwed up.  This is what it looks like...  I can't see any of the hooks/devices.

Hey Ryan, could you PM us the console output from the FD browser? Is FF also not working when you don't use VPN? We didn't enable error handling in the client yet, so you would see that screen if it was unable to get the response back from the API, meaning that either your VPN or the FF configuration is somehow not able to transmit to the API.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Nov 14 15 9:36 PM

wow.. that was something from me.
What I saw was, before the crash/outage all the devices I added disappeared and when tried to use the DO from IFTTT for it failed with ETIMEDOUT error and that would have caused the issue I believe.
But somehow my devices disappeared and not sure why, also when it came back I didn't see my previous devices and to re-configure the same.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Nov 15 15 5:23 AM

gethook wrote:

Ryan wrote:
I just got it working.  I couldn't get the ON/OFF buttons to work from Firefox.  They would work on the Device Setup screen when I used the test buttons, but not on the main screen.  I switched over to Chrome though and it seems to work OK there.  The github page acts a little strange in general when I was using Firefox.  It wouldn't update things unless I refreshed the browser.  I guess that I'll just use Chrome for now.

I'm still having an issue with my VPN too.  Whenever I turn on my VPN service the github page gets screwed up.  This is what it looks like...  I can't see any of the hooks/devices.

Hey Ryan, could you PM us the console output from the FD browser? Is FF also not working when you don't use VPN? We didn't enable error handling in the client yet, so you would see that screen if it was unable to get the response back from the API, meaning that either your VPN or the FF configuration is somehow not able to transmit to the API.

Firefox On/Off buttons do not work at all for me.  I sent you a PM.  Console is not showing any errors.  The buttons are just unresponsive.

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Nov 15 15 11:49 AM

Hi Ryan

Thanks for working on this with us. 
Could you try moving the Hook closer to the outlet you are trying to control, and try again? I just want to make sure that transmit range is not an issue here. 

Thanks!

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Nov 16 15 9:02 AM

Ryan wrote:
The outlet is only a few feet away. It works every time with the chrome browser and my IFTTT connections.

Hey Ryan, seems it is not working on FF but everywhere else, right? Do you mind sharing your FF version and OS? It's plain ol JS, so it is surprising what is the cause here.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Nov 16 15 10:40 AM

I'll take a look at it again tonight.  I'm going to try it from my Firefox install on my laptop too and see if the results are similar.  Maybe one of my Firefox Add-ons is causing an issue.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Nov 16 15 4:19 PM

The VPN issue is most likely the result of the API being hosted on port 3000. Perhaps firefox is also not a fan of that port for some reason?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Nov 16 15 8:16 PM

No luck with Firefox. I tried disabling all of the add-ons and restarting. It seems like the links are not recognized by Firefox for the "On" and "Off" buttons. When I mouse over them, the cursor does not change like it does with the other links on the page.

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Nov 16 15 8:18 PM

harrisonhjones wrote:
The VPN issue is most likely the result of the API being hosted on port 3000. Perhaps firefox is also not a fan of that port for some reason?

Any idea on how I would troubleshoot/fix that issue.  I'm definitely not a wiz when it comes to that IT type stuff.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Nov 16 15 10:03 PM

Ryan wrote:
harrisonhjones wrote:

Any idea on how I would troubleshoot/fix that issue.  I'm definitely not a wiz when it comes to that IT type stuff.

Hang on tight, i am going to test it out myself to sort out the FF issue.

Regarding the VPN, it should allow all outgoing requests and shouldn't filter custom ports as it is an outbound request. But you said that it works if you turn off VPN?

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Nov 16 15 11:27 PM

I successfully completed setup with the Particle Photon wifi dev kit and 433MHz transmitter/receiver. I'm currently controlling Etekcity outlets and Belkin Conserve power strip.  Only tricky part during setup was getting the receiver to recognize signals for actions, and to show up on the development web service interface. I had to try different positions of remote, sometimes getting very close to the receiver for it to recognize the signals. Maybe due to some of the interference and noise issues that were described with the other prototypes.

I have two types of IFTTT recipes setup so far. I connected Amazon Echo triggers to turn on/off based on voice command to Alexa (she says IFTTT funny) which triggers the maker channel to send a web request to the URL listed on the web service interface. I also setup location based triggers to turn on/off based on entering/exiting an area (my home).

I am using it to manage power drains from standby power (so-called energy vampires) to reduce power consumption. So far I have the RF controlled outlets / power strip for most electronics located near my computer desk at home. the amazon echo is also near the computer. I have monitors, stereo receiver, subwoofer, etc. hooked up to the RF controlled outlets. After turning off those items, the Kill-a-watt meter shows 60W decrease, which isn't that much, maybe save up to $20/year, although reduces heat output of the devices, maybe extending the life.

I also want to do some automatic lighting based on time, location, and weather triggers.  I haven't tested out the signal range of the beta kit prototype, but I think that I might need to get another kit to cover an area much further away or wait until the production version is available

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Nov 16 15 11:45 PM

Thanks for the write up and feedback. It is very helpful.

The production version has much better receive range and directionality. We battled a while to get this right, and are very happy with the outcome. =13pxWhile you wait for the production version of Hook, you could use these approaches to increase the transmit range=13px1. Use a 433MHz antenna on the transmitter. A 12cm wire connected to the antenna port on the transmitter will do wonders.2. Bump up the Vcc for the transmitter using a 5V-12V Boost converter  Hope this helps. 

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Nov 17 15 11:01 AM

gethook wrote:
@ryan: we have pushed a fix to make firefox work, let us know what you think about it.

I'll test it out when I get home tonight.

I'm getting very good coverage of my 1500 square foot ranch by using a solid core piece of wire as an antenna.  The optimum length is 1/4 wavelength... 17.2cm

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Nov 17 15 11:04 AM

gethook wrote:

Ryan wrote:

harrisonhjones wrote:

Hang on tight, i am going to test it out myself to sort out the FF issue.

Regarding the VPN, it should allow all outgoing requests and shouldn't filter custom ports as it is an outbound request. But you said that it works if you turn off VPN?

The transmitter works fine all the time.  I can trigger events from my phone and such whether the VPN is enabled or not.  The problem is with the github website.  It doesn't work properly to add devices or hooks or trigger events when my VPN is enabled because I can't see any of the buttons.  The website just looks like my previous post.

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Nov 17 15 12:36 PM

Ryan wrote:

gethook wrote:
@ryan: we have pushed a fix to make firefox work, let us know what you think about it.

I'll test it out when I get home tonight.

I'm getting very good coverage of my 1500 square foot ranch by using a solid core piece of wire as an antenna.  The optimum length is 1/4 wavelength... 17.2cm

Actually, many 433MHz circuit boards have a coil with a few windings between the RF OUT and the solder pad marked ANT. The XD-RF-5V that we are using has a three winding coil with a 5mm diameter. 5mm x 3 x PI accounts for almost 5cm, so the external part of the antenna should be around 12cm to come to a total length of quarter lambda (=17.2 cm).

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Nov 17 15 3:37 PM

Firefox is Working!

gethook wrote:

I just tested out Firefox again and it does seem to be working properly now.  Good job on the fix!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help