Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Nov 17 15 9:32 PM

@ryan glad it is now working for you. Reason IFTTT works is because IFTTT is calling our API directly without going through your VPN. It's a server to server call.. I can't help much with the VPN problem unless you share more details about the vpn service. PM me the details and we can work it through.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Nov 18 15 11:24 AM

gethook wrote:
@ryan glad it is now working for you. Reason IFTTT works is because IFTTT is calling our API directly without going through your VPN. It's a server to server call.. I can't help much with the VPN problem unless you share more details about the vpn service. PM me the details and we can work it through.

OK.  I'll do that.  This could be useful for other users too, so I think that it is worth looking into.  I do understand your point about connecting server to server for IFTTT, but this issue is still a problem for setting up new devices from my PC with VPN access.

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Nov 19 15 12:14 AM

Just set up the Hook and tied it up with Etekcity outlets all works super cool.
5 outlets distributed throughout a 3 story 2000sqft house work fine.
Had a minor issue triggering the outlet on level one, but then placed the set up on level 2 (kind of centered) and all of them trigger well now.

IFTTT recipe: I use a isecurity+ channel (kodak camera with motion detectors) to blink lights in the house (as well as sms me) when a person is detected on camera.
Camera points outside towards main door, so I can know if a new parcel has come or someone trying to play around with the lock !!.

Great work team HOOK !!

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Nov 19 15 9:32 AM

Snehalnayan wrote:
Just set up the Hook and tied it up with Etekcity outlets all works super cool.
5 outlets distributed throughout a 3 story 2000sqft house work fine.
Had a minor issue triggering the outlet on level one, but then placed the set up on level 2 (kind of centered) and all of them trigger well now.

IFTTT recipe: I use a isecurity+ channel (kodak camera with motion detectors) to blink lights in the house (as well as sms me) when a person is detected on camera.
Camera points outside towards main door, so I can know if a new parcel has come or someone trying to play around with the lock !!.

Great work team HOOK !!

Fantastic effort Snehalnayan, sounds like a great setup and a true usecase for Hook, affordable smart home solution at it's very best. Folks like you encourage us to strive harder to make Hook more awesome. For the prodution we are building a DeviceGroup, so you could link multiple devices to it and give them a common action like On/Off, this way you could then just have one recipe to turn on/off multiple lights at once.

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Nov 24 15 3:53 PM

Nope.  I don't see any response.  Does that mean that I have a problem with the 433mhz receiver?

I think that I have another one around here somewhere that I can test... now I just have to find it.  :)

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Nov 25 15 10:24 PM

Yup, if you don't see the hook change color when you are pressing the buttons then the receiver has a problem. Could you try with another receiver?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#50 [url]

Nov 26 15 4:15 PM

up and running

Hi - up and running on the hook beta.

working fine, but range is pretty limited, less than one room.

looking forward to try some more objects (i have the etekcity outlets which are working well).

-hb

Quote    Reply   

#51 [url]

Nov 27 15 8:09 PM

sendhb wrote:
Hi - up and running on the hook beta.

working fine, but range is pretty limited, less than one room.

looking forward to try some more objects (i have the etekcity outlets which are working well).

-hb

You can put a 12cm solid core wire on the antenna port of the transmitter to boast the transmit range significantly.

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Nov 28 15 8:58 PM

krazineurons wrote:
Yup, if you don't see the hook change color when you are pressing the buttons then the receiver has a problem. Could you try with another receiver?

I did change receivers... ultimately I found that the receiver(s) are a bit finicky about recording the buttons.  I was able to make both of the receivers that I have work (both also have an antenna), but I had to get really close to the receiver before it worked some times, and even if the receiver "saw" the button push... I saw the light on the photon flash... that didn't necessarily mean that the button was recorded by the hook.  It took 4 or 5 tries sometimes before the button was recorded.

It does work, but it is not as consistent as it was for the first couple of devices that I connected.

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Nov 29 15 9:47 PM

I added an antenna to my transmitter and the range increase is tremendous! I can switch lights a few rooms away now. I soldered an extra wire to the antenna terminal on the transmitter and then used some old CAT5 cable to make an ugly looking dipole antenna. maybe you guys should consider adding a port for external antennas to a future production version of hook if range ever becomes an issue.

I also found that the receiver is a little finicky with picking up on RF signals. It depends a lot on the angle. I switched the receiver to face outward so the copper coil faces outward. I've had good luck if I aim the remote down towards the center of the coil, like trying to shoot a basketball in the hoop, and then it usually picks it up.

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Dec 1 15 11:21 AM

I'm trying to get the particle connected to an open wifi that has a captive login. Particle's officially stated they have no way around captive logins yet. Luckily I can register a MAC address and the wifi won't prompt for a "Accept these terms" message.
So here comes the question:
Whats the best way to get the MAC Address for the Hook?

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Dec 1 15 11:32 AM

Found some directions for the particle: http://blog.jongallant.com/2015/08/particle-photon-setup-nodejs.html
Interesting as I used to work with this guy...
Anyway, since I could not get the hook to connect over USB I attached it to a LAN where I could view the MAC Address table. That worked.
Still interested in other ways to do this though!

Last Edited By: blueunicorn Dec 1 15 11:45 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Dec 2 15 11:23 PM

blueunicorn wrote:
Found some directions for the particle: http://blog.jongallant.com/2015/08/particle-photon-setup-nodejs.html
Interesting as I used to work with this guy...
Anyway, since I could not get the hook to connect over USB I attached it to a LAN where I could view the MAC Address table. That worked.
Still interested in other ways to do this though!

Good question. I am glad you were able to use the device table lookup to get the MAC address. For now, you could connect over USB and use particle CLI to get the MAC address. For the production version, we will be exposing an API endpoint to let you get the MAC address. 

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Dec 2 15 11:58 PM

ClearBlueSky85 wrote:
I added an antenna to my transmitter and the range increase is tremendous! I can switch lights a few rooms away now. I soldered an extra wire to the antenna terminal on the transmitter and then used some old CAT5 cable to make an ugly looking dipole antenna. maybe you guys should consider adding a port for external antennas to a future production version of hook if range ever becomes an issue.

I also found that the receiver is a little finicky with picking up on RF signals. It depends a lot on the angle. I switched the receiver to face outward so the copper coil faces outward. I've had good luck if I aim the remote down towards the center of the coil, like trying to shoot a basketball in the hoop, and then it usually picks it up.

Good effort! The production version of Hook has fantastic transmit and receive range. For most users, an external antenna port would not be needed. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help